- The Government is implementing various schemes to strengthen the seed production chain &to enhance availability of quality seeds & planting material of crops to farmers across the country through various schemes viz., National Food Security Mission (NFSM), Sub-Missions under National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA) [Sub-Mission on Seeds & Planting Material (SMSP) & Organic Value Chain Development for North Eastern Region] and Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana RAFTAAR (RKVY-RKVY-RAFTAAR) which provides provision for seed production and distribution.
- Besides, the Indian Council of Agricultural Research- Indian Institute of Seed Science (ICAR-IISS), Mau is coordinating two nation-wide network projects viz. All India Coordinated Research Project (AICRP) – National Seed Project (Crops) and ICAR Seed Project. AICRP-NSP (Crops) is mandated to produce breeder seed as per the national requirement.
- The breeder seed thus produced, is supplied to indenting agencies including public and private sector for downstream production of foundation and certified seed in subsequent years for supply to the farmer.
- During the last three years, 349861.6 quintals of breeder seed of more than 1300 varieties of 57 field crops has been produced.
- ICAR Seed Project is also operating at 63 cooperating centres under National Agricultural Research System which is contributing quality seed production of newly released varieties in the country.