- The Union Home Ministry has constituted another committee to examine methods to curb the misuse of free movement along the Myanmar border, indicating a significant shift in India’s policy towards Myanmar, a friendly country, with which it shares unfenced borders and unhindered movement of people across the border.
- Free movement regime is being misused by militants and trans-border criminals who smuggle weapons, contraband goods and fake Indian currency notes.
- Taking advantage of the free-movement regime, occasionally they enter India, commit crimes and escape to their relatively safer hideouts.
- India and Myanmar share an unfenced border of 1,643 km.
- Four Northeast Indian states share the border with Myanmar: Arunachal Pradesh,Nagaland, Mizoram and Manipur.
Source: TH & WIKI