India at the 2020 Summer Olympics
- India competed at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan. Originally scheduled to take place from 24 July to 9 August 2020, the games were postponed to 23 July to 8 August 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- India has appeared in every edition of the Summer Olympics since 1920, although it made its official debut at the 1900 Summer Olympics in Paris.
- The nation sent its largest-ever contingent of 126 competitors to the 2020 Games.
- To date, the 2020 Summer Olympics are the most successful Games for India since its first regular Olympics appearance in 1920, with Indian Olympians winning 7 medals (1 gold, 2 silver and 4 bronze).
- The Indian contingent participated in a record 69 events, and earned medals across 18 athletic disciplines.
- In the men’s javelin throw, Neeraj Chopra won India’s first-ever gold medal in athletics, the nation’s second ever individual gold and first individual gold since the Beijing 2008 Olympics, won by Abhinav Bindra (Shooting).
- This was also India’s first athletics medal since its first Olympics appearance as an independent nation in 1948, and its third overall after Norman Pritchard’s silver medals in 1900.
- Saikhom Mirabai Chanu won India’s first-ever silver in women’s weightlifting (49 kg), becoming the first Indian Olympic medallist in the sport since 2000, while P. V. Sindhu won a bronze in women’s badminton to became the first Indian female athlete and second Indian to win two consecutive Olympic medals for individual events (having won a silver in badminton in 2016).
- The men’s national field hockey team won the bronze medal, their first Olympic medal since 1980.
- The men’s 4 x 400m relay team set a new Asian record of 3:00:25.
- Aditi Ashok in women’s golf and Deepak Punia in men’s freestyle wrestling (86 kg) both placed fourth in final rankings, as did the women’s national field hockey team, which achieved its best performance since its Olympics debut in 1980.
About the 2020 Summer Olympics
- Officially the Games of the XXXII Olympiad and branded as Tokyo 2020, was an international multi-sport event held from 23 July to 8 August 2021 in Tokyo, Japan, with some preliminary events that began on 21 July.
- Tokyo was selected as the host city during the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on 7 September 2013.
- Motto: United by Emotion.
- Originally scheduled to take place from 24 July to 9 August 2020, the event was postponed to 2021 in March 2020 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the first such instance in the history of the Olympic Games (previous games had been cancelled but not rescheduled).
- However, the event retained the Tokyo 2020 name for marketing and branding purposes.
- The 2020 Games were the fourth Olympic Games to be held in Japan, following the Tokyo 1964 (Summer), Sapporo 1972 (Winter) and Nagano 1998 (Winter) games.
- Tokyo is the first city in Asia to hold the Summer Games twice.
- The 2020 Games were the second of three consecutive Olympics to be held in East Asia, following the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea and preceding the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, China.
- New events were introduced in existing sports for 2020, including 3×3 basketball, freestyle BMX and mixed gender team events in a number of existing sports, as well as the return of madison cycling for men and an introduction of the same event for women. New IOC policies also allowed the host organizing committee to add new sports to the Olympic program for just one Games.
- The disciplines added by the Japanese Olympic Committee were baseball and softball, karate, sport climbing, surfing and skateboarding, the last four of which made their Olympic debuts, and the last three of which will remain on the Olympic program.
Prelims inFocus : Click here