- Even with an increase of little over one degree Celsius in global warming, India is being battered by the worst climate extremes. It is clear that the situation is going to worsen with an 1.5 degrees increase, and hence India must quickly get its act together — now, environmentalists cautioned.
- The response of Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) Director General Sunita Narain came on the release of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report in Incheon in South Korea.
- The IPCC, the biggest UN scientific body feeding climate science to policy-makers, released on Monday its special report on the impacts of global warming increase of 1.5 degrees.
- It documents glaring evidence of the devastating impact of climate change on the poor and developing countries.
- While a 1.5 degrees rise in global temperature will be precarious, a two—degree rise would be catastrophic.