- Indian culture is as many sided as life.
- It includes intellectual and social aspects of any human being.
- It also takes account of the aesthetic instinct as well as the spiritual impulses of human being.
- It has also, in effect, an appeal to the subconscious as a force making for the formation of character.
Features of Indian Culture
- Continuity and Change
- Harappan civilization / Culture
- Vedic, Buddhist, Jain and many other traditions
- Variety and Unity
- Taste, Languages & Dialects, Festivals
- Different styles of music and dance, both folk and classical
- Various ethnic groups
- Chikan work of Lucknow, Phulkari embrodery of Punjab,Kantha embroidery of Bengal, Patola of Orissa
- Unity in diversity is reflected in our political forms as well.
- Mahajanapadas-Ashoka, Samudragupta and Harshavardhana-Mughals-British Empire-Independent India
- Secular Outlook
- Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsees and Jews
- Everyone is free to profess, practise and propagate any religion of his/her own choice.
- message of peace and harmony to the entire world
- Materialistic and Spiritualistic
- Harappan civilization was an urban one (systematic town planning)
- Discoveries of theories-like “earth rotates around the sun” or “earth is round” were made by Indians longbefore Europe accepted them
- Jainism and Buddhism are silent about the existence of God
CULTURAL IDENTITY, RELIGION, REGION AND ETHNICITY
- Our cultural identities are based on various factors such as religion and region.
- Even in the forms of worship and rituals there are sectorian and regional differences.
- However, at the level of rituals and lifestyles there is a lot of intermingling among followers of different religions.
- Ethnic culture is strong among the tribal groups.
For Other Topic of Art and Culture : Click here
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join