- The Assam government has inaugurated a 1.8-km ropeway across the Brahmaputra river, and described it as India’s longest river ropeway.
- Connecting Kachari Ghat (Guwahati) to Dol GovindaTemple on the northern bank, the ropeway passed the famous Umananda temple on a small island.
- Thousands of people commute every day between the capital city of Guwahati and the town of North Guwahati, where IIT Guwahati is located. The ropeway cuts travel time between the two banks to 8 minutes.
- the ropeway will provide a breathtaking view of the mighty Brahmaputra and promote tourism in the State
- It passes over the mid-river Peacock Island.
- This is one of the most advanced & longest river crossing Aerial Tramway systems in India.