Indigenous Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
An indigenous Onboard Driver Assistance and Warning System – ODAWS, Bus Signal Priority System and Common SMart iot Connectiv (CoSMiC) software have been launched under Intelligent Transportation System Endeavor for Indian Cities Phase-II initiative of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
The product was developed as a joint initiative by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC) and Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M). Mahindra and Mahindra was the industrial collaborator for the project.
- Onboard Driver Assistance and Warning System – ODAWS: With improved highway infrastructure and increase in number of vehicles, speed on roads has increased, further exacerbating safety concerns.
- As per Ministry of Road Transport and Highways of India (MoRTH), in around 84 percent of cases, “driver error” was cited as the cause of the accident.
- This assumes significance in the context of potential for technology applications for assisting and warning drivers in minimizing driving errors.
- ODAWS incorporates vehicle-borne sensors for monitoring driver propensity and vehicle surroundings to deliver acoustic and visual alerts for driver assistance.
- The project involves the development of sub-modules such as the navigational unit, driver assistance console, and mmWave radar sensor.
- The positional and dynamic characteristics of surrounding vehicles are probed using mmWave radar sensors.
- The navigational sensor provides a precise geo-spatial orientation of the vehicle as well as trends in driving behaviour.
- The ODAWS algorithm is used to interpret sensor data and offer real-time notifications to the driver, boosting road safety.
About Bus Signal Priority System
- Bus Signal Priority System: Poor reliability of public transport system is a major reason for people to opt for personal vehicles. Improving this is essential to attract more travellers to public transport, thus leading to a more sustainable traffic solution.
- One of the major causes of delays for public transport buses in urban arterials is the delay at signalized intersections.
- Bus signal priority System is an operational strategy that modifies normal traffic signal operations to better accommodate in-service public buses at signal-controlled intersections.
- Unlike a blind priority that is given for emergency vehicles, here it is a conditional priority, which is given only when there is an overall reduction in delay for all vehicles.
- The developed system will enable to minimize person delay by providing priority to public transport buses, either through Green extension or Red truncation, considering all vehicles approaching a signalized intersection.
- Common SMart iot Connectiv (CoSMiC): It is a middleware software providing standard based deployment of IoT adhering to oneM2M based global standard.
- It facilitates users and application service providers in various vertical domains to use application agnostic open standards and open interfaces for end to end communication with well-defined common service functionalities complying with oneM2M standard.
- With this in view, CoSMiC common service layer is used to interface any vendor specific standards and for increasing interoperability with smart city dashboard.
- The horizontal silo architecture ensures interoperability and data exchange between different IOT devices and applications and avoids vendor lock-in.
- CoSMiC comply with 12 common service functions which are Registration, Discovery, Security, Group Management, Data Management & Repository, Subscription & Notification, Device Management, Application & Service Management, Communication Management, and Delivery Handling, Network Service Exposure, Location, Service Charging and Accounting.
- The CoSMiC platform also provides Interworking Proxy Entity (IPE) APIs for connecting non-oneM2M (NoDN) devices or third-party applications to get connected to the CoSMiC platform.
- CoSMiC provides a Dashboard page showing IoT units, products, applications, and its live data in a Geographical Information System (GIS) map.
- A secondary data repository is also available for historic charts and reports. CoSMiC provides an end-to-end solution for the seamless connection of IoT devices and applications.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join