- In continuation of the process of engaging the global strategic community in an annual review of India’s opportunities and challenges in the Indo-Pacific region, the second edition of Indo-Pacific Regional Dialogue (IPRD) – 2019 will be held in New Delhi.
- To provide a platform for substantive and insightful discussions pertaining to the geopolitical developments affecting the maritime domain of the Indo-Pacific, and provide policy-relevant inputs to the policy-makers and the public at large.
About IPRD- Indo- Pacific Regional Dialogue:
- The idea of an Indo-Pacific Regional Dialogue (IPRD) was first conceptualised and conducted in 2018, as the apex level conference of the Indian Navy, organised by the National Maritime Foundation as the Navy’s Knowledge Partner.
- The permanent theme of this annual dialogue is a review of India’s opportunities and challenges in the Indo-Pacific region.
- The aim is to focus attention on the Indo-Pacific, as a maritime geographical-entity, while deliberating aspects of great relevance to regional geopolitics.
Significance of Indo-Pacific:
- Indo-Pacific is a multipolar region that is contributing more than half of world GDP and population. Countries falling in the direct catchment of the vast Indian and Pacific oceans can be termed as Indo-Pacific countries.