- Recently, the International Albinism Awareness Day is observed every year on June 13.
About the Day
- Made To Shine is the chosen theme for this year’s International Albinism Awareness Day.
- The UN General Assembly proclaimed June 13 to be International Albinism Awareness Day on December 2014, with it being observed for the first time in 2015.
- a rare disease which is characterized by a lack of melanin pigment in skin, hair and eyes.
- genetically inherited, non-contagious disease.
- vulnerable to sun exposure, that increases chances of skin cancer and severe visual impairment.
- condition is still not fully understood, socially or medically and has no cure at present.
- widespread among animals as well and is caused by the absence of melanin in their bodies.