US President Donald Trump has delivered a landmark speech recognizing Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel after more than a year of fears, discussions, promises, and assessments.
The city Jerusalem:
- The city Jerusalem (The Noble, Sacred Place) is the only city in the world that is considered historically and spiritually significant to Jews, Christians, and Muslims alike.
- JEWS- They believe that the foundation that created the world is situated here.
- MUSLIM- The Dome of the Rock and al-Aqsa Mosque is the third holiest site in Islam.
- CHRISTIAN-The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, where Jesus had been crucified is also situated here.
US & Jerusalem:
- 1995- During the time when Bill Clinton was the President, US Congress passed Jerusalem Embassy Act, recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
- Afterwards, Every president has signed a legal waiver to delay the moving of US embassy by six months.
HISTORY OF ISRAEL AND PALESTINE:
- 1948- After first Arab-Israel War, Jerusalem was partitioned into West and East under Israeli and Palestinian control respectively.
- 1967- Israel snatched East Jerusalem from Jordanian forces. Israel Parliament declared ‘Jerusalem reunited’.
- This marginalized the Palestinian under the ‘two-state solution’