Recently, the State Cabinet of Arunachal Pradesh has approved the large, brightly coloured Kaiser-i-Hind as the State butterfly.
- An elusive swallowtail butterfly carrying ‘India’ in its name and found in next-door China will become the State butterfly of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The Cabinet meeting was for the first time held outside State capital Itanagar at an unusual location — Pakke Tiger Reserve.
- Kaiser-i-Hind (Teinopalpus imperialis) literally means Emperor of India.
- This butterfly with a 90-120 mm wingspan is found in six States along the Eastern Himalayas at elevations from 6,000-10,000 feet in well-wooded terrain.
- The butterfly also flutters in Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam and southern China.
- Protected areas under the Hapoli Forest Division are popular with butterfly enthusiasts.
- The first dead specimen of Kaiser-i-Hind was recorded in Sikkim.
- An International Union for Conservation of Nature red-listed species, the Kaiser-i-Hind usually flies at tree-top level and descends to sit on low vegetation when there is strong morning sunlight.
- It is in flight during April-July and lays eggs on the underside of leaves.
- Protection Status
- WLPA 1972: Schedule II
- CITES: Appendix II
- IUCN Status: Near Threatened
Back to Basics
Pakhui Tiger Reserve
- It is also known as Pakhui Tiger Reserve.
- It is a Project Tiger reserve in the Pakke Kessang district of Arunachal Pradesh in northeastern India.
- It lies in the undulating and hilly foothills of the Eastern Himalayas in Arunachal Pradesh’s Pakke Kessang District.
- It is bounded by Bhareli or Kameng River in the west and north, and by Pakke River in the east.
- It contains lowland semi-evergreen, evergreen forests and Eastern Himalayan broadleaf forests.
- It has a high representation of species from the families Euphorbiaceae and Lauraceae.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join