- Union Home Minister operationalised the New Intelligence Set-up of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
- This marked the culmination of a long pending aspiration of the Force following approval of the Union Home Minister.
- SSB has been declared as the Lead Intelligence Agency (LIA) for both the Indo-Nepal and Indo-Bhutan borders.
- Thus, it was felt that a well knit intelligence network of the highest capabilities that can function and deliver would be the prime requirement of comprehensive Border Management.
- This was quite essential as the operations of SSB have to be Intelligence based so as to prevent criminals and smugglers from taking advantage of the friendly borders with Nepal and Bhutan.
- MHA has accordingly sanctioned 650 posts in various ranks from Battalion to Frontier Headquarters.
- The job of SSB is much more demanding and challenging since it is vested the responsibility of guarding open borders unlike other borders.
- This makes the task much more challenging and demands highest alertness to check illegal activities like smuggling of arms, Fake Indian Currency Notes (FICN), drugs and human-trafficking.
- Smt. Archana Ramasundaram is the first woman to head any CAPF.
- On the occasion, the Union Home Minister launched the Welfare and Rehabilitation Board (WARB) Mobile App for CAPF personnel.
- The App is available on Google Play store and is user friendly.
- It contains various useful features to facilitate retired CAPFs and Assam Rifles personnel to get their genuine grievances redressed, seek skill development training through National Skill Development Corporation under “Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana, re-employment and other relevant and important information.
- This mobile App shall also help retired personnel to have better co-ordination with WARB and its field formation at states/UTs and district level.
- Later Shri Rajnath Singh released the book “Pride of India”, a compilation on SSB martyrs and awardees. He also distributed scholarships to children of SSB martyrs.
- SSB Wives’ Welfare Association “SANDIKSHA” is providing financial help to children of martyrs who are still studying in school, colleges and universities to continue their studies.
- The Force has undertaken Modernization programme and the SSB has acquired two UAVs while the MHA has approved three Bomb Detection and Disposal squads for the SSB, she added.