- Central Electro Chemical Research Institute (CECRI), Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu and RAASI Solar Power Pvt Ltd have signed a Memorandum of Agreement for transfer of technology for India’s first Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Battery project.
- CECRI is under Central Science and Industrial Research (CSIR).
- CSIR-CECRI has set up a demo facility in Chennai to manufacture prototype Lithium-Ion cells.
- It has secured global IPRs with potential to enable cost reduction, coupled with appropriate supply chain and manufacturing technology for mass production.
- Currently, Indian manufacturers source Lithium Ion Battery from China, Japan and South Korea among some other countries.
- India is one of the largest importers and in 2017, it imported nearly 150 Million US Dollar worth Li-Ion batteries.
- Li-Ion batteries have applications in Energy Storage System – from hearing aid to container sized batteries to power a cluster of villages etc.,
- Lithium-ion batteries can power any electrical application without the need of physical wires-means wireless.