- Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying has released the 20th Livestock Census report. The 20th Livestock Census was conducted in participation with all States and Union Territories. The enumeration was done both in rural and urban areas. The Livestock Census covers all domesticated animals and its headcounts.
- The total Livestock population is 535.78 million in the country showing an increase of 4.6% over Livestock Census-2012 Total Bovine population (Cattle, Buffalo, Mithun and Yak) is 302.79 Million in 2019 which shows an increase of about 1% over the previous census.
- The total number of cattle in the country in 2019 is 192.49 million showing an increase of 0.8 % over the previous Census. The Female Cattle (Cows population) is 145.12 million, increased by 18.0% over the previous census (2012).
- The total buffaloes in the country are 109.85 million showing an increase of about 1.0% over the previous Census. The total milch animals (in-milk and dry) in cows and buffaloes is 125.34 million, an increase of 6.0 % over the previous census.
- The Indigenous/Non-descript female cattle population has increased by 10% in 2019 as compared to the previous census. The population of the total Exotic/Crossbred Cattle has increased by 26.9 % in 2019 as compared to previous census.
- The total sheep in the country is 74.26 million in 2019, increased by 14.1% over the previous Census. The Goat population in the country in 2019 is 148.88 million showing an increase of 10.1% over the previous census.
- The total Pigs in the country is 9.06 Million in the current Census, declined by 12.03% over the previous Census. The other livestock including Mithun, yak, horses, ponies, mule, donkeys, camel together contribute around 0.23% of the total livestock and their total count is 1.24 million.
- The total poultry in the country is 851.81 million in 2019, registered an increase of 16.8% in the total poultry. The backyard poultry has increased by around 46% as compared to the previous Census. The total birds in the backyard poultry in the country are 317.07 million.
The total Commercial Poultry in the country is 534.74 million in 2019, increased by 4.5% over the previous Census.