The Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has issued a notification today constituting the Mahanadi Water Disputes Tribunal. The Tribunal will have its headquarters at Delhi and will have the following members nominated by the Chief Justice of India:
- Mr Justice A.M. Khanwilkar, Judge, Supreme Court of India as Chairman
- Dr Justice Ravi Ranjan, Judge, Patna High Court as Member
- Mrs Justice Indermeet Kaur Kochhar, Judge, Delhi High Court as Member
- The Tribunal has been constituted following orders of the Supreme Court dated 23rd January, 2018 in a suit filed by the Government of Odisha. The Government of Odisha had sought to refer the water dispute regarding the inter-state river Mahanadi and its river valley to a Tribunal for adjudication under the Inter-State River Water Disputes Act, 1956.
- The tribunal will be formed according to the provisions of the Inter-State River Water Disputes (ISRWD), 1956.
- It will have a chairperson and two other members nominated by the Chief Justice of India from among the judges of the apex court or high courts.
- As per provisions of the ISRWD Act, 1956 the Tribunal is required to submit its report and decision within a period of 3 years which can be extended to a further period not exceeding 2 years due to unavoidable reasons.