- Recently, Ministry of Tourism, Government of India’s DekhoApna Desh Webinar Series titled, “The Mystical Triangle- Maheshwar, Mandu & Omkareshwar” was organised.
Back to Basics
Maheshwar or Mahishmati
- One of serene and captivating destinations of Madhya Pradesh with historical significance which is 90 kms away from Indore city.
- The city got its name after Lord Shiva/ Maheshwara, it also finds a mention in the epics Ramayana and Mahabharatha.
- The presenters described in detail the life & times of Queen Rajmata Ahilya Devi Holkar.
- The Town lies on the north bank of the Narmada River.
- It was the capital of the Malwa during the Maratha Holkar reign till 6 January 1818, when the capital was shifted to Indore by Malhar Rao Holkar III.
- In the late eighteenth century, Maheshwar served as the capital of the great Maratha queen Rajmata Ahilya Devi Holkar.
- Ahilyeshwar temple, where Ahilya devi used to offer prayers, Vitthal temple near Ahileshwar temple are must stop places for aarti and to admire architecture. There are around 91 temples that are built by the Rajmata.
- Baneshwar temple which is dedicated to Lord Shiva is one of the must-see temples of Maheshwar especially during sunsets.
- Textiles are another important aspect that is developed by Ahilya Devi.
- Rehwa Society was founded in 1979, is a non profit organisation working for the welfare of weavers of maheshwar.
- Only Jyotirlinga which is situated on the north bank of Narmada.
- Places- Mamleshwar temple, Siddhanth temple
- known by the name of Mandavgarh, Shadiabad (City of Joy).
- known for the love story of Sultan Baz Bahadur and Rani Roopmati.
- RewaKund reservoir constructed by Baz Bahadur
- Mandu was easily defeated by Mughal forces
- Jahaz Mahal/Ship Palace situated between two artificial lakes, this two-storied architectural marvel is so named as it appears as a ship floating in water. Built by Sultan Ghiyas-ud-din-Khalji, it served as a harem for the sultan.
Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series is an effort to showcase India’s rich diversity under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat and it is continuously spreading spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat through virtual platform.