The globally accepted framework of Management Effectiveness Evaluation (MEE) of tiger reserves has paved way for successfully assessing the tiger conservation efforts in the country.
Key Details of 20th Meeting of National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA)
- The 20th Meeting of National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) was held in Pakke tiger reserve in Arunachal Pradesh under the chairmanship of Union Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change.
- For the first time in history the NTCA meeting happened outside the national capital.
- The Minister released standard operating procedure for tiger reintroduction and supplementation in wild , forest fire audit protocol for tiger reserves, technical manual on MEE of Tiger reserves in India prepared by NTCA.
- India harbors about 70% of the world’s tiger population in wild. The tigers occupy different landscapes in the country.
Management Effectiveness Evaluation (MEE) of Tiger Reserves in India
- Survival of tigers is dependent on conservation and management efforts and to guage the success of conservation efforts as well as to guide management inputs, it is important to assess the management effectiveness of Tiger Reserves.
- India is amongst the selected countries in the world that have institutionalized the MEE Process.
- The globally accepted framework of Management Effectiveness Evaluation (MEE) of tiger reserves has paved way for successfully assessing the tiger conservation efforts in the country.
- The MEE exercise in tiger reserves was initiated in 2006 and four cycle has been completed. Since then a lot of experience has been gained and need was felt revisit and review the whole process.
- Accordingly, a committee was constituted by the National Tiger Conservation Authority to revisit and review the MEE criteria for the 5th cycle of MEE exercise starting 2022.
- The intention was to bring about parity in the analysis of diverse tiger reserves of the country and to guide the evaluators with respect to the assessments to be made in the coming financial year.
- Based on the suggestions made by the committee, the technical manual on Management Effectiveness Evaluation (MEE) of Tiger Reserves in India is being released by NTCA.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join