- The Government has taken number of initiatives for the protection of the interests of consumers. Very soon services and products in the area of health, food etc. shall have to follow mandatory quality standards.
- Precious metal like Gold and silvers shall have to wear hallmarking for the larger interests of consumers.
- New Bureau of Indian Standards Act has been enacted for this purpose and rules are being framed.
- New Consumer Protection Act which will have more teeth to protect the interests of consumers.
- Effective provisions have been proposed in the new Consumer Protection Act. The Act will enable people to file complains in Consumers Courts online from any place in the country and it will ensure time bound admission of their complaints in the courts.
- So far 100 percent digitization of ration card has been completed and about 70 percent cards have been linked with Aadhar Cards to make the system more transparent and leak proof.
- At present more than 81 crore people are getting subsidized food grains i.e .Rs. 2/kg wheat and 3/kg rice under National Food Security Act and very soon beneficiaries from across the nation.