- Northeast and Assam Petro-chemicals, a state-owned company for launching Asia’s first cannisters based and India’s first “Methanol Cooking Fuel Program”.
Details of the Program:
- The project is a natural extension of our Prime Minister’s vision of reducing import of crude and an effort to provide clean, import substitute, cost effective and pollution free cooking medium.
- This technology is very unique as it handles methanol extremely safely, does not need regulator or any piping system.
- The cooking medium can directly substitute LPG, Kerosene, Wood, Charcoal and any other fuel for cooking.
- The gaseous form, Methanol – DME, can be blended in 20% ratio with LPG.
- 2 litres cannisters can last for full five hours on twin burners and 8 such Cannisters as rack can last for one month for a family of three.
- The cost of energy equivalent of one cylinder of LPG for Methanol is Rs. 650, compared to Rs. 850 per cylinder resulting in a minimum of 20% Savings.
- For instance, in Manipur the cost of transportation of LPG is Rs. 200, whereas same cost for Methanol will be Rs. 12.
- This provides for an excellent alternative as household fuel and commercial, institutional and fuel for restaurants.