Recently, the Prime Minister of India launched Mission LiFE in the presence of U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres at the Statue of Unity, Ekta Nagar, Kevadia, Gujarat.
About Mission LiFE
- The mantra of Mission Life is ‘Lifestyle For Environment’.
- it connects the powers of the people for the protection of this earth, and teaches them to utilise it in a better way.
- Mission LiFE makes the fight against climate change democratic, in which everyone can contribute within their capacity. “Mission LiFE inspires us to do all that can be done in our everyday life to protect the environment. Mission LiFE believes that the environment can be protected by making changes in our lifestyle”
- Mission LiFE makes us all trustees of the environment. A trustee is someone who does not allow indiscriminate use of resources. A trustee works as a nurturer and not as an exploiter”
- Mission LiFE emboldens the spirit of the P3 model i.e. Pro Planet People. Mission Life, unites the people of the earth as pro planet people, uniting them all in their thoughts. It functions on the basic principles of ‘Lifestyle of the planet, for the planet and by the planet’.
- Mission LiFE will encompass every lifestyle related to the conservation of nature, which our ancestors adopted, and that can be made a part of our lifestyle today.
- Mission LiFe as a global initiative by India to help the world in its fight against climate change and lead to a sustainable way of life to achieve the sustainable development goals set by the U.N.
- By leading the creation of the Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure, India has conveyed its concept towards environmental protection to the world. Mission LiFE is the next step in this series.
- Mission LiFE aims at following a three-pronged strategy for changing our collective approach towards sustainability.
- First is by nudging individuals to practise simple yet effective environment-friendly actions in their daily lives (demand);
- second is by enabling industries and markets to respond swiftly to the changing demand (supply) and;
- third is to influence government and industrial policy to support both sustainable consumption and production (policy).
- The annual per capita carbon footprint in the country is only about 1.5 tons, compared to the world average of 4 tons per year while India has the fourth largest capacity for renewable energy in the world.
- India is ranked fourth in wind energy and fifth in solar energy. India’s renewable energy capacity has increased by about 290 % in the last 7-8 years.
- The country has also achieved the target of 40% of the electric capacity from non-fossil-fuel sources nine years ahead of the deadline.
- The success of LiFE would lie in the popular adoption of green behaviours by people, resulting in a Jan Andolan for a planet-friendly lifestyle. This is easier said than done as changing entrenched habits requires much self-control, effort, willpower and mindfulness. Moreover, there shall always be reasons to carry on as usual.
- For Mission LiFE to succeed, humanity’s buy-in is a must.
- Making planet orientation a top-of-the mind personal value can instantly drive seemingly small but highly impactful behaviour changes.
- It would make us switch off the appliances when not in need, use less water while brushing our teeth, be mindful of plastic consumption, dispose of our e-waste responsibly, walk or cycle to our neighbourhood markets and carry our own jute bag for shopping.
- As always, LiFE shall be best when the action begins at home.
Back to basics
- At the 2021 UN Climate Change Conference (UNFCCC COP26), Hon’ble Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi announced Mission LiFE, to bring individual behaviours at the forefront of the global climate action narrative.
- LiFE envisions replacing the prevalent ‘use-and-dispose’ economy—governed by mindless and destructive consumption—with a circular economy, which would be defined by mindful and deliberate utilisation.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join