- Once the Balkan stronghold of pro-Russian sentiments, tiny Montenegro joined the NATO in a historic turn that has made the Kremlin furious.
- Montenegro formally became the 29th member of the Western military alliance at a ceremony in Washington
- Montenegro’s membership “will support greater integration, democratic reform, trade, security, and stability with all of its neighbours”.
- also called the North Atlantic Alliance, is an intergovernmental military alliance between several North American and European states based on the North Atlantic Treaty that was signed on 4 April 1949.
- NATO constitutes a system of collective defence whereby its member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party. Three NATO members (the United States, France and the United Kingdom) are permanent members of the United Nations Security Council with the power to veto and are officially nuclear-weapon states.
- NATO is an alliance that consists of 29 independent member countries across North America and Europe.