- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved MoU between India and Bangladesh for fairway development of Ashuganj-Zakiganj stretch of Kushiyara river and Sirajganj-Daikhawa stretch of Jamuna river in the Indo-Bangladesh protocol route by undertaking necessary dredging jointly by the two countries.
- The MoU will considerably reduce the logistics cost of cargo movement to North Eastern India.
- It will also reduce the congestion through the Siliguri Chicken’s Neck corridor.
Rivers & its Tributaries in this area:
The Barak River:
- The Barak River rises from the Manipur hills and flows along Nagaland-Manipur border through hilly terrains and enters Assam.
- It then enters Bangladesh where it is known by the name of the Surma and the Kushiyara.
The Jamuna River
- The Jamuna River refers to one of the three main rivers of Bangladesh.
- It is the main distributary channel of the Brahmaputra River as it flows from India to Bangladesh.