Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR, RD&GR) has signed an MoU with the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare (MoA&FW) for speedy implementation of Namami Gange programme.
Being a multi-disciplinary programme, the success of Namami Gange largely depends upon the participation of other ministries, state governments and local communities. Signing of this MoU will ensure effective and efficient implementation of various projects of Namami Gange.
About Namami Gange Programme:
The Union government approved “Namami Gange” Program in May 2015. It integrates the efforts to clean and protect the Ganga river in a comprehensive manner.
Focus & Implementation of the programme:
- Among other things, the programme will focus on pollution abatement interventions namely Interception, diversion & treatment of wastewater flowing through the open drains through bio-remediation / appropriate in-situ treatment / use of innovative technologies.
- The program would be implemented by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), and its state counterpart organizations i.e., State Program Management Groups (SPMGs).
- The program emphasizes on improved coordination mechanisms between various Ministries/Agencies of Central and State governments.
A three-tier mechanism has been proposed for project monitoring comprising of:
- High level task force chaired by Cabinet Secretary assisted by NMCG at national level.
- State level committee chaired by Chief Secretary assisted by SPMG at state level.
- District level committee chaired by the District Magistrate.