- A model of water conservation adopted successfully by the authorities in Nalanda district of south central Bihar, has been selected for the national award for excellence in the Mahatma Gandhi national rural employment guarantee programme (MGNREGP), by the ministry of rural development.
- The award for excellence will be conferred on ‘Project Jal Sanchay’, the water conservation model.
- It was under these conditions that ‘project jal sanchay’ was launched under MGRNREGP, to offer farmers a wide spectrum of solutions to their water crisis .
- Under this, check dams were created and traditional Aahar-Pyne irrigation system and traditional water bodies were desilted and renovated, accompanied by campaigns to create awareness about rainwater harvesting.
- The water conservation project has not only improved the availability of water but has also positively impacted farm production in the areas covered by the project.