Recently, Union Education Minister launched NanoSniffer, the world’s first Microsensor based Explosive Trace Detector (ETD) developed by NanoSniff Technologies, an IIT Bombay incubated startup.
- It is a 100% Made in India product in terms of research, development & manufacturing.
- The core technology of NanoSniffer is protected by patents in the U.S. & Europe.
- This affordable device will reduce dependency on imported explosive trace detector devices.
- It will also encourage other institutions, startups and medium-scale industries to research & develop products indigenously. It’s a perfect example of lab to market product.
- It can detect explosives in less than 10 seconds and it also identifies and categorizes explosives into different classes.
- It detects all classes of military, conventional and homemade explosives.
NanoSniffer gives visible & audible alerts with sunlight-readable color display.
NanoSniffer has successfully passed Pune based DRDO’s High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) testing and has also been tested by the country’s elite counter-terror force National Security Guard (NSG).
Need of NanoSniffer
- Given the constant threats, which our nation faces due to geo-political realities, explosives & contraband detection has become a norm at high security locations like airports, railways & Metro stations, hotels, malls, and other public places.
- Almost all products for explosive detection are imported at a high cost leading to the loss of valuable foreign exchange by the country. NanoSniffer can substitute them.
Explosive Trace Detection
- The Explosive Trace Detection is the technology used to detect explosives of small magnitude.
- The three main characteristics of Explosive Trace Detection are sensitivity, light weight, and size.
- The sensitivity or detection limit is the lowest amount of explosive matter a detector can detect.
- It can detect even nano quantities of explosives.
For Science and Technology Current Affairs: Click Here