- A three day workshop on National Convention on Innovations in Green Highways was inaugurated in the capital today. Speaking on the occasion, the Minister of State for Road Transport, Highways and Shipping Shri Mansukh Lal Mandavia said that there would be a greater success in greening highways if the local farmers are also involved.
- The farmers if involved in plantation, maintenance, and protection would give them a sense of responsibility and ownership. The Minister also expressed the hope that the convention will come up with actionable ideas that would be useful for the country. Shri Mandavia also pointed out that the greening of the highways along with the Swachata Abhiyan could go a long way in improving the climate.
- The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has promulgated Green Highways (Plantations, Transplantation, Beautification & Maintenance) Policy – 2015 to undertake highways plantations along National Highways.
- For the quick roll out of the scheme National Green Highways Mission (NGHM) under National Highways Authority of India (NHAI has been entrusted with the responsibility of implementing entire green highways programme for the Ministry, NHIDCL & NHAI.
- Under the aegis of Green Highways Policy, NGHM is mandated to plan, implement and monitor green corridors development along upcoming and existing National Highways.
- For effective implementation of the Green Highways Programme, NGHM intends to adapt global best practices, undertake new research, test innovations as pilot projects and further replicate them on larger scale.