- The Lok Sabha passed the National Council for Teacher Education (Amendment) Bill to grant retrospective recognition to Central/State institutions that are conducting teacher education courses without NCTE approval.
- NCTE Act is seeking to provide approval to those institutions which are funded by the Centre or states, but do not have recognition under the 1993 law.
- The NCTE Act, 1993, came into force in 1995 and applies to all parts of India, except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
- It is a statutory body to formally oversee standards, procedures and processes in the Indian education system.
- It is located in Delhi under the Department of Teacher Education and National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).