- The National Council for Older Persons has been reconstituted and renamed as National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSrC).
- The NCSrC will advise Central and State Governments on the entire gamut of issues related to welfare of senior citizens and enhancement of their quality of life, with special reference to policies, programmes and legislative measures; promotion of physical and financial security, health, and independent and productive living; and awareness generation and community mobilization.
- In pursuance of the National Policy for Older Persons (NPOP), a National Council for Older Persons (NCOP) was constituted in 1999 under the Chairpersonship of the Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment to oversee implementation of the Policy.
- The NCOP is the highest body to advise the Government in the formulation and implementation of policy and programmes for the aged.
- The Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment is the Chairman and Minister of State (Social Justice and Empowerment) is the Vice-Chairman of the Council.