Union Minister of State Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying unveiled the National Digital Livestock Mission Blueprint at NDDB.
About National Digital Livestock Mission (NDLM)
- NDLM is a digital platform developed jointly by the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying (DAHD) and NDDB on the foundation of the existing Information Network for Animal Productivity and Health (INAPH).
- The aim is to create a farmer-centric, technology-enabled ecosystem where the farmers are able to realize better income through livestock activities with the right information.
- The bedrock of NDLM will be the unique identification of all livestock, which will be the foundation for all the state and national level programmes, including domestic and international trade.
Significance of National Digital Livestock Mission (NDLM)
- Through NDLM, the farmers will be able to effortlessly access the markets, irrespective of their location or holdings through this digital platform as a wide range of stakeholders will be connected in this ecosystem.
- This system will also include robust animal breeding systems, nutrition, disease surveillance, disease control programmes and a traceability mechanism for animals and animal products.
Need for such NDLM
- The livestock sector has a unique combination of being the backbone of rural livelihood. The growth would have been a lot better if there were concerted efforts to harmonise programmes across the country in order to create an ecosystem that is conducive to the growth of the sector.
- This has been the main idea behind the deployment of NDLM, keeping the welfare of the farmer at the core.
Back to basics
About National Dairy Development Board (NDDB)
- The NDDB is a statutory body and an institute of national importance, established by an act of the Indian Parliament in 1965. It was founded by Dr Verghese Kurien, often called ‘India’s milkman’.
- The NDDB was created to boost, finance and support producer-owned and controlled organisations in the dairy industry. The NDDB is headquartered in Anand, Gujarat.
- NDDB’s efforts transformed India’s rural economy by making dairying a viable and profitable economic activity for millions of milk producers while addressing the country’s need for self-sufficiency in milk production.
Economy Current Affairs UPSC 2021 : Click Here