- Recently the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has recommended that a new National Numbering Plan be issued at the earliest so that a uniquely identifiable number can be provided to every subscriber in India.
About the NNP
- The management of numbering resources is governed by the National Numbering Plan.
- The Department of Telecom administers the numbers for fixed and the mobile networks based on the ITU’s Telecommunication Standardization Sector (ITU-T) recommendations.
- TRAI has recommended automated allocation of numbering resources be done using number management system software to speed up the process
Broadly, the TRAI has recommended:
- switching to an 11-digit mobile number,
- reallocation of mobile numbering resources surrendered by operators who have shut shop and
- prefixing zero for all mobile calls made from fixed line