- Railway Ministry has dedicated India’s very first Railway University at Vadodara to nation.
- In 2014, PM Modi had announced the Railway University for the Research and Modernization of the Railway system of India.
- The Union Cabinet had approved the establishment of the first Rail University in Vadodara in Gujarat in Dec 2017, to promote human resource skills and capacity building.
About National Rail and Transportation Institute (NRTI)
- The NRTI is a deemed university in Vadodara, had opened its doors to the first batch of students from various states in two fully-residential undergraduate courses in September this year.
- It has been established as a recognized University under UGC’s Honored University Institute Regulation, 2016.
- It is India’s first railway university and only third such in the whole world after Russia and China.
- In this year, two under-graduate programmes are being offered by the university in Transportation Technology and a BBA programme in Transportation Management.
- The university aims to start the master’s programme from 2019-20 academic sessions in areas such as Transportation and Systems Design, Transport Systems Engineering, Transport Policy and Economics, among others.
- The university has been working with foreign partners such as California, Berkeley and Cornell University.