- The National Solar Mission is a major initiative to promote ecologically sustainable growth while addressing India’s energy security challenge.
- The Mission will adopt a 3-phase approach:
- spanning the remaining period of the 11th Plan and first year of the 12th Plan (up to 2012-13) as Phase 1,
- the remaining 4 years of the 12th Plan (2013-17) as Phase 2 and
- the 13th Plan (2017-22) as Phase 3.
- At the end of each plan there will be an evaluation of progress.
- To establish India as a global leader in solar energy, by creating the policy conditions for its diffusion across the country as quickly as possible.
- To create an enabling policy framework for the deployment of 100,000 MW of solar power by 2022.
- To create favorable conditions for solar manufacturing capability, particularly solar thermal for indigenous production and market leadership.