- Our national song is ‘Vande Matram’, composed in Sanskrit by Bankimchandra Chatterji.
- It was first sung at the 1896 session of the Indian National Congress.
- Indian National Anthem is the first stanza of Rabindra Nath Tagore’s composition called ‘Jana Gana Mana’
originally composed in Sanskritized Bengali.
- It was translated to Hindi and Urdu by Abid Ali.
- It was first sung in 1911 convention of Congress.
Legislations and Rules regarding National Symbols
- Article 51A of the Constitution makes it a fundamental duty for every citizen of India to abide by the
Constitution and respect its ideals and institutions, the national flag and the national anthem.
- The Prevention of Insult to National Honour Act, 1971 deals with cases of insults to the Constitution, the
national flag and the national anthem and provides for penal provision for insulting these symbols.
- Flag Code of India, 2002 is not a law but a consolidation of executive instructions issued by the Government
of India from time to time and contains detailed instruction for observing such behaviour which will not
disrespect the National Flag.