- The National Sports University Bill, 2018 was recently passed by Lok Sabha.
Features of the Bill:
- The bill seeks to establish a National Sports University headquartered in Manipur.
- The university, first of its kind, aims to promote sports education in the areas of sports sciences, sports technology, sports management and sports coaching.
- It will undertake research on physical education, strengthen sports training programmes, and collaborate internationally in the field of physical education.
- As per the bill, key powers of the university includes,
- Prescribing courses of study and conducting training programmes,
- Granting degrees, diplomas, and certificates,
- Providing facilities through a distance education system, and
- Conferring autonomous status on a college or an institution.
- The central government will review and inspect the functioning of the University.
- It will maintain a fund which is contributed by the central, state governments, UGC, income from fees and others sources.
- The government has signed an agreement with two Australian Universities to make the sports university a world-class institution.