National Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation
National Immunization Technical Advisory Group (NITAG) is an advisory committee consisting of multidisciplinary groups of experts responsible for providing information to national governments that is used to make evidence-based decisions regarding vaccine and immunization policy.
About National Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (NTAGI)
- The majority of industrialized and some developing countries have formally established advisory committees to guide immunization policies; other countries are working towards establishment of such committees.
- NITAG in each country may have different names, for example: Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) in the United States, Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) in Australia, Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) in the United Kingdom, National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) in Canada, National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) in Ireland, National Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (NTAGI) in India.
- The primary purpose of NITAG is to provide technical resources, supplying guidance and recommendations to national policy makers and programme managers to enable them to make evidence-based immunization related policy and program decisions.
- This may also include vaccination schedules regarding appropriate timing, dosage, and contraindications of vaccines.
- There are no fixed rules about the total number of NITAG members as it depends on local considerations such as the need for geographic representation, the size of the country, and the availability of resources.
- NTAGI is the highest advisory body on immunization in the country which consists of independent experts who provide recommendations on vaccines after reviewing data on disease burden, efficacy and cost-effectiveness of vaccines.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join