- In 2015, the world endorsed the bold 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the landmark Paris Agreement to address climate change. Nationally determined contributions (NDCs) are at the heart of the Paris Agreement and the achievement of its long-term goals. NDCs embody efforts by each country to reduce national emissions and adapt to the impacts of climate change. The Paris Agreement (Article 4, paragraph 2) requires each Party to prepare, communicate, and maintain successive NDCs that it intends to achieve.
- As each country implements and advances its NDCs under the Paris accord, new approaches and promising practices must be identified to realize significant and lasting climate action.
- The NDC Partnership is open to countries and international institutions that are committed to ambitious implementation of nationally determined contributions (NDCs) under the Paris Agreement and the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. Membership is voluntary and defined by support for the Partnership’s Guiding Principles, which help orient its work and the work of its partners.
NDC Partnership: Working Together to Achieve Ambitious Climate Action While Enhancing Sustainable Development
Launched at COP22 in Marrakesh, the NDC Partnership aims to enhance cooperation so that countries have access to the technical knowledge and financial support they need to achieve large-scale climate and sustainable development targets as quickly and effectively as possible. The NDC Partnership builds in-country capacity and increases knowledge sharing so that climate policies have meaningful and enduring impacts, and drive increasing global ambition over time.
What We Do
Made up of developing and developed countries and international institutions, the Partnership:
- Facilitates Technical Assistance and Knowledge Sharing: The Partnership supports countries in defining processes, policies, and plans to advance NDC implementation, while facilitating access to targeted technical assistance and fostering greater collaboration across sectors.
- Creates and Disseminates Insightful Knowledge Products that Fill Information Gaps: The Partnership raises awareness of and enhances access to climate support initiatives, best practices, analytical tools, and resources. Information to address specific implementation needs is made available through online portals, as well as communities and networks that generate opportunities for knowledge sharing.
- Promotes Enhanced Financial Support for NDC Implementation: The Partnership works with governments to better understand and address constraints so that they may access bilateral and international support programs. The Partnership aims to align development finance initiatives more strongly and coherently with NDC implementation.