- Recently, BSNL, in partnership with Skylotec India announced a breakthrough in satellite-based NB-IoT (Narrow Band-Internet of Things).
- This will enable it to provide connectivity for millions of unconnected machines, sensors and industrial loT devices across the country.
- NB-loT is a wireless communication standard for the internet of things.
- It belongs to the category of low-power wide-area networks (LPWAN), enabling devices to connect devices that need small amounts of data, low bandwidth, and long battery life.
- It is an efficient, cost-effective technology and enables deployment of loT to the masses.
- Uses/Applications- Connected cities (smart waste, smart parking etc), Connected agriculture (crop/animal/soil monitoring etc).
Back to Basics
- The Internet of things (IoT) is the network of physical devices, vehicles, buildings and other items embedded with electronics, software, sensors, and network connectivity that enable these objects to collect and exchange data.
- Thus IoT creates opportunities for more direct integration of the physical world into computer-based systems and resulting in improved efficiency, accuracy and economic benefits.
- IoT is one of the platforms of today’s Smart City and Smart Energy Management Systems. It can also be used to improve crop yield to help feed the world’s growing population.
- The Policy framework of the IoT Policy has been proposed to be implemented via a multi-pillar approach.
- The approach comprises five vertical pillars (Demonstration Centres, Capacity Building & Incubation, R&D and Innovation, Incentives and Engagements, Human Resource Development) and 2 horizontal supports (Standards & Governance structure).
- It focuses on the following objectives:
- To create an IoT industry in India of USD 15 billion by 2020. It has been assumed that India would have a share of 5-6% of the global IoT industry.
- To undertake capacity development (Human & Technology) for IoT specific skill-sets for domestic and international markets.
- To undertake Research & development for all the assisting technologies.
- To develop IoT products specific to Indian needs in all possible domains.