To promote sustainable and eco-friendly constructions in the domestic housing sector, the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) of the Confederation of Indian Industry launched a rating and certification initiative ‘Nest’.
About the NEST initiative:
- It is to promote sustainable and eco-friendly construction in the domestic housing sector.
- It would pave the way for individual house owners and the residential sector to adopt green building features in a big way to help bring down electricity consumption and water usage and create a healthy living space.
- IGBC’s Nest framework and certification has been developed specifically for individual homeowners to help them reduce energy cost by 20-30 per cent and reduce water requirements by 30-50 per cent.
- It aims to bring awareness and drive individual owners to build a sustainable home with no or meager additional cost.
- It is aimed at controlling and limiting carbon emissions.
- The move is toward achieving the country’s net zero goal by 2070.
Back to Basics
About Indian Green Building Council
- It is part of the Confederation of Indian Industry(CII) and was formed in 2001.
- It is India’s Premier certification body.
- The council offers a wide array of services, which include developing new green building rating programmes, certification services,and green building training programmes.
- The council also organises the Green Building Congress, its annual flagship event on green buildings.
- It is also among the five countries that are on the board of the World Green Building Council, discussing global issues at COP and similar global platforms.
- The rating is based on six environmental categories, which include sustainable station facility, health, hygiene and sanitation, energy efficiency, water efficiency, smart and green initiatives and innovation and development.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join