- Government think tank NITI Aayog has signed an agreement with the Geneva-based International Road Federation for designing a policy framework for intelligent transportation systems (ITS) in the country.
- “The policy would aim at addressing issues such as road safety, traffic congestion, security of passenger and goods traffic and parking management, among others,” a release said.
- “The objective of statement of intent (SoI) is to create a national platform involving all relevant government stakeholders, Indian and foreign companies active in the sector and relevant technical experts for the purpose of developing a national ITS policy.
- Electronic enforcement of traffic rules and regulations, fleet management and monitoring, innovation and education in the field of ITS are among the areas that would be addressed by the policy.
- The work of the national platform will provide a coherent and consistent national ITS policy covering domains such as traffic and parking management, enforcement, and security.