The first ever North East Development Summit (NEDS) 2017 was held in Imphal, Manipur. It was inaugurated by President of India Ram Nath Kovind and was organized by Delhi-based think tank India Foundation in collaboration with Union Government.
Highlights of the story:
- It was aimed to boost trade and investment in underdeveloped region of North East and at building confidence and altering perception among visiting delegates and investors
- Various international finance agencies laid down their plan for development in the region
- The summit was attended by Suresh Prabhu (Union Minister for Commerce and Industries), Ram Madhav (Director of India Foundation), Rajeev Kumar (Vice-Chairman NITI Ayaog),Chief Ministers of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland, ministers and officials from NE states, ambassadors, high commissioners and officials from various countries including Malaysia, China, Japan, Sweden, Taiwan and many more
- Around 36 companies/firms from India participated in addition to associations like FICCI, CII, NASSCOM, Border Trade Moreh, Myanmar India Business Chamber, India Bangladesh Chamber of Commerce etc.
- The state forest department signed four MoUs — two with the HSMM Group of Laos for Agarwood plantation and production of essential oil and commercial production of orchids, one with NLR of Netherland for production of bio-fuels from bamboo and one with the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India for minimum support prices for minor forest produces
- For setting up a private university in Manipur the state’s higher education department signed an MoU with Unesco Centre, UK
- With the aim of attracting investment in trade and tourism the finance department signed an MoU with the Indo-Swiss Centre, Switzerland
- The agriculture department signed a MoU with MSTC, a government of India undertaking, for e-marketing of agricultural produce from Manipur
- The state tourism department signed a MoU with the Lao Peoples Democratic Republic for development of tourism and another with Star Track Business House Pvt Ltd, Mumbai, for Rs 50-crore infrastructure development project
- The Manipur Police Housing Corporation signed an MoU with Fitzroy Salai Holdings, Calcutta, for a cable car project in the state.