- Union Cabinet Committee, Central govt. approves North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme (NESIDS) for NE states. Subsequently, this scheme will start in 2017-18 and the central government will provide 100% fund for the successful implementation of NESIDS.
- Accordingly, this scheme is for the development of infrastructure in various specified sectors till March 2020.
- NESIDS Scheme will result in infrastructure development which includes better connectivity, power, education, health, water supply and tourism.
- The primary objective of this scheme is to promote industrialization in the northeastern states.
- Central government also approves to continue the existing Non Lapsable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR) scheme. Henceforth, govt. will continue NLCPR Scheme till March 2020 with total outlay of Rs 5300 crore. Govt. will continue this scheme for the completion of several pending and ongoing projects.
- For this reason, center will provide funds in the ratio of 90:10.
The important features and highlights of this scheme are as follows:-
- Central govt. approves this scheme for the overall development of the North East region in the upcoming years.
- Subsequently, this scheme will start in FY 2018 and will continue till the FY 2020.
- Accordingly, Central govt. will provide 100% funds for this scheme.
- NESIDS Scheme will cover various public welfare sectors as described below which will also help in generating employment opportunities.
- This scheme will benefit all the citizens belonging to the North Eastern region.
- Central govt. will create assets which will act as catalyst to boost the development in NE region.