The scheme was launched for the development of girls.
The scheme will be implemented for three years in Ganjam, Dhenkanal and Angul districts on a pilot basis.
The objective of the Biju Kanya Ratna Yojana is to improve Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) and Child Sex Ratio (CSR) in the three districts.
The CSR has declined from 967 in the 1991 census to 941 in the 2011 census in Nayagarh, Dhenkanal, Angul and Ganjam districts. However, Nayagarh is covered under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme.
• The BKRY will ensure enrolment of girls in elementary education.
• It will track dropout girls from schools and create a better environment for them.
• The scheme will create awareness on gender discrimination against girls, their health, nutrition and education.
• The scheme also includes provision of toilets for girls in every school, self defence training for girls, promotion of access to education, sensitising adolescent girls on sexual and reproductive health issues, training of elected representatives/grassroots functionaries as community champions to mobilise communities to improve CSR and girls’ education.
• According to the provision of BKRY, the state government will spend 3.5 crore rupees for the three-year planned scheme, which is expected to be completed by 31 March 2019.