- Recently, Rajasthan Police arrested two civil defence employees in Jaipur based on Military Intelligence (MI) inputs.
- The arrested employees had been passing on sensitive information to Pakistan’s spy agency ISI.
About the Operation:
- The operation was jointly carried out by the Army, UP ATS, and Rajasthan Police, and was named Operation ‘Desert Chase’.
- Both were arrested under relevant sections of the Official Secrets Act, 1923.
About Official Secrets Act :
- It was enacted in 1923 and was retained after Independence.
- This law is applicable to government servants and citizens and provides the framework for dealing with espionage, sedition, and other potential threats to the integrity of the nation.
- The law makes spying, sharing ‘secret’ information, unauthorized use of uniforms, withholding information, interference with the armed forces in prohibited/restricted areas etc. punishable offences.
- If proven guilty, a person may get up to 14 years’ imprisonment or a fine, or both.