- Recently the Central Cabinet is likely to consider a proposal to launch a new scheme ‘Operation Green’.
About Operation Green
- The Operation Green or the TOP Scheme is a simple scheme, announced in this year’s Budget, will be implemented on a pilot basis for two years after the Cabinet nod.
- It has a corpus of Rs 500 crore to aid farmers in times of erratic price fluctuation.
- TOP scheme will focus only on three produce tomatoes, onions, and potatoes.
- Three clusters for each produce have already been identified.
- The clusters will be linked directly to the markets.
- The state governments will be roped in.
- The subsidy will be given for setting up of the storage facility near the consumption centers.
- The Operation Greens aims to promote farmer producers organizations, agri-logistics, processing facilities, and professional management.