Recently, the Ministry of Textiles has informed that a total of 26.79 lakh artisans have been registered so far under Pahchan initiative.
- The office of Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) implements various schemes for welfare development of artisans through “National Handicraft Development Programme (NHDP)” and Comprehensive Handicrafts Cluster Development Scheme (CHCDS) to emphasize integrated approach for development of handicraft in a holistic manner and provide sustainable livelihood opportunities to the artisans.
These two schemes have the following components:
- Base Line Survey & Mobilization of Artisans under Ambedkar Hastshilp Vikas Yojana
- Design & Technology Up gradation,
- Human Resource Development,
- Direct Benefit to Artisans,
- Infrastructure and Technology Support,
- Research and Development,
- Marketing Support & Services.
What is Pahchan Initiative?
- It was launched in 2016 by the then Union Minister of Textiles.
- It is an initiative of Ministry of Textiles to register and provide Identity (ID) cards to handicraft artisans and link them to a national database.
- Pahchan cards scheme is a new upgraded ID card for artisans that will be linked with their Aadhaar numbers and bank accounts so that they can receive direct cash transfer benefit.
- It has the information of handicrafts artisans viz. name & address, Aadhaar Card number, mobile number and craft practiced.
Significance of Pahchan initiative
- The ID card will enable the artisans to avail easy loan at nominal interest rate.
The ID cardholders will get the benefit of life insurance and Rs.1200 per year for their children studying between Class IX and Class XII.
Social Justice Current Affairs : Click here