Skip to content
- The Pandya kingdom was the second important kingdom in south India during this period. It occupied the region of modern districts of Tirunelveli, Ramnad, and Madurai in Tamil Nadu.
- The capital of Pandya kingdom was Madurai. The Pandyan kingdom was very wealthy and prosperous.
- The Sangam literature gives information and names of a few kings.
- Nedunjeliyan was a great Pandya king. He defeated the combined forces of Chera, Chola, and five other minor states in a war against him at Madurai.
- The Pandyan kings assembled literary assemblies called as ‘Sangam’.
- Nedunjeliyan had performed several Vedic sacrifices. He may be taken to have ruled around A. D. 210.
- The capital Madurai and the port city Korkai were the great centres of trade and commerce during the Pandyas’ reign.
- The traders profited from trade with the Roman Empire.
- Pandya kings even sent embassies to the Roman emperor Augustus and Trojan.
error: Content is protected !!
Test Series-2019 and Prelim-cum-Mains Integrated Programme for 2019 will be launched very soon:
September-2018 Current Affairs has been sent to all our subscribers. Do Check you subscribed id. Thanks