- The 2016 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Forum’s Leaders Summit will be held in Lima, Peru from November 19 to 20, 2016.
- The theme of the summit is “Quality Growth and Human Development” and the official logo is the architecture of the ancient city of Caral.
About Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation:
- A forum for 21 Pacific Rim member economies that promotes free trade throughout the Asia-Pacific region.
- It was established in 1989 in response to the growing interdependence of Asia-Pacific economies and the advent of regional trade blocs in other parts of the world; to defuse fears that highly industrialised Japan (a member of G8) would come to dominate economic activity in the Asia-Pacific region; and to establish new markets for agricultural products and raw materials beyond Europe.
- An annual APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting is attended by the heads of government of all APEC members except Taiwan (which is represented by a ministerial-level official under the name Chinese Taipei as economic leader).
- The location of the meeting rotates annually among the member economies, and a famous tradition, followed for most (but not all) summits, involves the attending leaders dressing in a national costume of the host country.
- APEC currently has 21 members, including most countries with a coastline on the Pacific Ocean.
[stextbox id=”info” bcolor=”FFFAE0″ bgcolor=”F5FAFF” bgcolorto=”F1FFED”]
1 Australia, 2 Brunei, 3 Canada, 4 Chile, 5 China, 6 Hong Kong*, 7 Indonesia, 8 Japan, 9 South Korea, 10 Malaysia
11 Mexico, 12 New Zealand, 13 Papua New Guinea, 14 Peru, 15 Philippines, 16 Russia, 17 Singapore, 18 Taiwan
19 Thailand, 20 United States of America, 21 Vietnam
* Not a country, part of China.