- The Pilikula Biological Park (Zoo) at the Dr. Shivaram Karanth Pilikula Nisargadhama here has stopped admitting injured and rescued birds in view of suspected bird flu in some parts of the country.
ABOUT PILIKULA BIOLOGICAL PARK
- Pilikula Nisarga Dhama is a major Eco-Education and Tourism Development Project promoted by the district Administration of Dakshina Kanada in the beautiful city of Mangalore in Karnataka State, India.
- Pilikula is an integrated theme park with wide variety of features; it has many attractions of cultural and scientific interest. Pilikula extends over an area of 400 acres along the banks of Gurupura river.
- The Pilikula Biological Park is one of the major attractions of Pilikula Nisarga Dhama. The park has an area of 150 acres. In accordance with prevailing laws, the Central Zoo Authority of India has recognized the park as a major zoo. As per modern zoological practices, the animals are kept in spacious enclosures closely resembling their natural habitat.
- The park has well equipped veterinary hospital complex with quarantine, post treatment ward and post-mortem block, X-ray and ultrasound scanning facilities. Central Zoo Authority has funded the construction of hospital complex.
- Pilikula Biological Park is aesthetically one of the best designed premises in the country meeting all modern international standards of Zoo management. The park serves as a good educational center for students of all ages in enriching their knowledge on conservation of wildlife.
- Pilikula Zoo houses about 1000 animals of 98 species of mammals, reptiles and birds.
Pilikula has the credit of breeding some of endangered species of mammals, reptiles and birds of Western Ghats region. It is the only zoo to breed King Cobra in captivity.
- The park area is covered with thick vegetation, which serves as a natural habitat for wild animals. Number of free ranging mammals, reptiles, amphibians, insects are found in the zoo premises. It also serves as a nesting ground for birds (more than 70 species recorded)