- Recently, the southern bench of the National Green Tribunal(NGT) has granted an interim stay on felling of coconut trees on Agatti Island in Lakshadweep.
Back to Basics
About the Island
- situated on a coralatoll called Agatti atoll in the Union Territory of Lakshadweep.
- Kavaratti, the closest inhabited island, lies 54 km to the SE and Suheli Paratoll 76 km to the south.
- Islam is the main religion of the islanders.
- Islamic religion is said to have been brought by Arab traveller Ibn Batuta.
- there is plenty of coral growth and multicoloured coral fishesin the lagoons.