- Mousuni Island in West Bengal’s Sundarbans region was severely impacted by extreme weather.
- Close to a quarter of Mousuni has been flooded with saline water from the surrounding Muriganga and Chinai rivers as well as Bay of Bengal.
Back to Basics
- Mousuni, along with Ghoramara and Sagar, are among the most vulnerable in the region, climate experts have pointed out.
- The three adjacent islands underline the high climate risk faced by the risk of western part of Indian Sundarbans.
- Ganga Sagar, Ghoramara, and Mousuni islands are part of the Hooghly River estuarine system.